Followers

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin rolls and Thanksgiving

How are are you "home gamers"? Okay, I just got done watching Jim Cramer....I confess. There's a reason it's called Mad Money.....he's a wild thing! I love him regardless. One day I'll buy the right stock and actually make some money.....hehe, I'm not holding my breath!!

All this fall color and leaves have gotten me thinking about Thanksgiving and more holidays to come. I went through my mother's recipe file and came across the traditional Pumpkin Roll recipe scrolled on a piece of a small yellow legal pad. The writing has faded along with the frequency with which we enjoy homemade pumpkin roll. I always loved her recipe. (I was sure her ingredients must have been so much better than everyone else! ) Well just in time for Thanksgiving I think I'll post her recipe, maybe it will inspire me to revisit that time! Enjoy!

Mom’s Pumpkin Roll recipe


Beat 3 eggs on high speed of mixer. (5min) Gradually beat 1 Cup sugar, stir in 2/3 C. pumpkin, 1 tea lemon juice

Stir together ¾ C. flour, 1 tea. Baking powder and 2 tea. Cinnamon, 1 tea ginger, 1/2 tea nutmeg and ½ tea. Salt. Fold this into pumpkin mix.

Spread in greased 15 x 10x1. Top with 1 C. finely chopped walnuts. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Turn out on towel, sprinkled with powdered sugar. (Don’t totally let cool before you turn it out) Start at narrow end of towel and roll.

Totally cool roll. Fill and refrigerate.

Filling

1 C. powdered sugar two 3 oz pkgs of philly cream cheese
4 T. butter or oleo
½ tea. Vanilla

Beat smooth and spread over cake roll. Reroll with filling and refrigerate

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Thanks Mar for the great recipe. Can't wait to try it. -cz

    ReplyDelete