Followers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Midwest Summer

There was a time this past winter when the first snow fell, and I stood by the window in our back yard admiring the naked limbs of the trees lined with the prettiest snowfall. For a month or so it kind of made me feel warm and fuzzy to add another layer of clothing, walk outside and grab the neighbor's dogs for trounce through the snow. We took that walk regularly, it made me more tolerant of the winter which I struggle to endure each year.

February of each year finds me online looking at travel deals to warm destinations, somewith Bahama Mamas and Beaches. I find I spend and inordinate amount of time doing this. Sooner or later some rationale wins out and I'm pressing the BOOK NOW button. It could be a rental property that needs attention, a trade show that must be attended a friend or relative who really needs my presence, or a vacation spot I must see ...... you name it and I've probably rationalized it.

In the midst of a REALLY LONG WINTER this past year I said out loud, "I will not complain about the heat this summer!" "I mean it". So here I sit, In the depths of August, and all I can say is...Whew, what a nice hot summer. No, I'm not complaining, I love summer. I love getting up and sitting on the deck drinking my coffee listening to the birds and other critters. I love to watch my 94 year old father get on his John Deere and mow 90 acres of land which is his salvation. He talks about how beautiful his property looks (and it does) in the proudest fashion possible. He gives credit to the good Lord, who he says, is the most beautiful painter. It could however, also be his undoing, since he seems to have an argument with every tree limb out there and they are winning the war against his ever thinning skin! (Note to self, make Dr. appt. tomorrow for his most recent war wound)

Ahh, summer in the Midwest. Warm, humid, green, really green, driving to the lake, visiting wineries, seeing neighbors you weren't sure lived there anymore, grilling, swimming and just sitting....yeah, I'll take it for as long as I can get it!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely: both the idea and the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every season in the Midwest is great...except the middle and end of winter. Otherwise, it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is really nothing like a Midwest summer. I know that my last one was the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete